The biblical foundation of our Food Bank Program is found in the book of Matthew; Chapter 25 verses 35 and 40. “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me. …Assuredly, I say to you, in as much as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.”
As a Christian body we believe that no one should go hungry, or be cold, or due to isolation go without food. It is the mission of the Mount Vernon Baptist Church Food Bank Program to address each of these areas of need. We treat all those who are in need equally with compassion, dignity, and respect.
- Meets in the church Family Life Center the 3rd Saturday of each month.
- Open 9:30am - 11:30am
- Qualifications for a single person: income less than $16,237 per year or special circumstances. (Income requirement increases based on size of family.)
- Food Distribution is for a family based on residence.
- Extra food for single parents/grandparents with children under 18 years of age.
- Extra food if household has 4 or more members
Senior Grocery Program
- Qualification must be greater than or equal to 60 years of age, and
- Have a household income of less than $16,237 per year for a single person. Household income requirement increases based on family size.
- Program allows 120 participants – new applicants put on wait list.
- May participate in Food Pantry and Senior Grocery Program
- Food delivered to Jasper Housing Authority Complexes, Jasper Senior Center and those with special needs
- Church constructed a formal secret pantry and clothes closet at the Curry High School in 2019
- Qualified students and their families receive ample food for the weekends
- Student hygiene items are provided to the Curry Middle School, as requested
- Began in 2018-2019 winter season with 107 church donated coats given to the Curry and Meek Schools
- In the 2019-2020 winter season 102 coats given to the Curry School System, Eldridge Children's Home, Daybreak Ministry, and Food Bank participants.
- This ministry will continue for the 2020-2021 winter season.
Pregnancy Test and Resource Center
The food bank also provides disposable diapers, newborn welcome kits, and baby food and formula when available and requested by the center.